07 May 2011

Mrs Samsa chair design

This first picture was my original idea for the make of the first chair. The idea being a replica of a victorian nursing chair. My first idea was to make legs and buy castors which fitted the period. This wasnt possible as when i went to find castors I could only find modern ones.
My initial reaction to this was to perhaps make a solid wooden leg including the castor but I had a better idea.
In this second draft of the chair I went for a frame of wood under the base which would incorporate four wooden blocks for the legs. This would be sturdy and by adding a panel of material in the upholstering stage it would hide the fact the the legs are not correct.
Here it is at the stage where the foam is added to the wooden base and the material covers it nicely.
This is the material I chose for the covering of the chair. It is an old curtain and the embroidered look i think will look good in the room.

This is the foam I bought for the chair. It is easy to cut and is used for making chairs etc. I will be able to carve a slight indent into it to make it look as though it has been worn down in the sitting area.


No comments:

Post a Comment